วันจันทร์ที่ 20 กุมภาพันธ์ พ.ศ. 2555

Barbie the Coder - A Role Model We All Can Use

So the big news last week was the newest "occupation" for Barbie is a computer engineer, anyone that means (I guess let the perennial hardware versus software debates begin). Maybe it is time to retire that "math class is hard" speech chip once and for all and replace it with some often-used Linux shell commands. Or maybe this should be a chapter for our daughters: persevere past the polynomials, and you too can code. Or form circuits.

Personally, I am glad to seek Geek Barbie, with her hot pink netbook and matching Bluetooth headset. (And what is up with all the dissimilar Bluetooth headsets on 24, anyway? Didn't anyone at Ctu's It agency get involved?) It is about time. We need role models wherever we can find them in the favorite culture. And while you might have issues with Barbie's unrealistic and unobtainable, ahem, dimensions, the fact remains that she has paved the way. Just take a look at the history books:

Netbook Linux

Barbie joined Nascar twelve years ago, now we have that hot GoDaddy babe Danica Patrick racing at Daytona this past weekend. And as an astronaut in 1965, she was indubitably ahead of Sally Ride nearly two decades later, who incidentally was at Stanford just before my time there. She has already run for President, twice. And last year she came with her own tramp stamp, what could be more hip than that? So she is a bit behind the times in the tattoo department.

Back when I went to college and grad school, in those dark pre-Pc days of the 1970s, we didn't have any girls, let alone ones that looked like Barbie, in the nerd classes. In my dorm at Stanford, it was 297 guys, 3 gals. This was the fabled Crothers Memorial engineering dorm - the dorm that played such a indispensable role in the early Pc era that a Silicon Valley company was named after it (Cromemco Computers). I mean, how pathetic and nerdy can that be? But I digress.

I perceive that the male/female engineering mix is changing - at the modern iPhone app dev class that I attended, there were two women out of a class of 20. This semester the breakdown is 4 out of a class of 45. Still not great. So how can we get more women into the computing field? indubitably not by gift hot pink computer cases, although there is something to be said for that.

I think it goes back to elementary school, where we need to encourage basic math and analytical thinking for girls early on. People that turn into great engineers love to take things apart and put them back together and have a natural curiosity about how the world works. I remember when my brother and I were growing up, we were permanently breaking stuff (the variation was my brother could indubitably fix things (who went on to become a Ee) doing this all the time. Let's destigmatize girls doing this. Barbie is a great first step.

My Links : printer ink toner filtersfordigitalcameras

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น